Windows Phone was first released in October 2010. At the time, Microsoft had been struggling to compete with Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android operating systems. In order to gain market share, they decided to release their own mobile operating system called Windows Phone.
In 2012, Microsoft announced that they would no longer develop any new features for Windows Phone. Instead, they focused on developing apps for iOS and Android devices. As a result, Windows Phone lost its popularity among consumers and developers.
Microsoft began working on Windows 10 Mobile in 2014. Since then, Windows Phone has seen a resurgence in popularity. Today, Windows Phone is considered one of the best smartphone platforms out there.
1. Windows Phone was first released in 2010, and was Microsoft’s attempt at competing with Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android OS. At its release, the phone had a lot of promise, but failed to gain traction due to poor marketing and lack of apps. In 2012, Microsoft announced that they would no longer develop any new features for the platform, and instead focus on their core strengths — Office and Xbox.
2. Windows Phone 8 was released in 2013, and brought many improvements over previous versions. However, despite these changes, the platform still struggled to gain popularity. Many users were disappointed with the lack of apps, and the fact that Microsoft did not provide updates to existing phones.
3. Windows 10 Mobile was released in 2015, and brought many improvements to the platform. It gained much popularity among developers, who began creating apps for the platform. Unfortunately, Microsoft decided to discontinue the platform in 2017, leaving many loyal fans without access to their favorite apps.
1. Windows Phone was released in October 2010.
2. In January 2011, Microsoft announced that they would no longer develop any new features for Windows Mobile 6.x devices.
3. On July 12th, 2012, Nokia announced that they were discontinuing their Symbian OS based smartphones.
4. On September 20th, 2013, Microsoft officially discontinued the Windows Phone platform.
5. On February 10th, 2014, Microsoft launched its first smartphone running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
6. On June 26th, 2015, Microsoft launched Windows 10, which included a mobile version of the operating system.
7. On August 1st, 2017, Microsoft announced that they were discontinueing their Lumia line of phones.
8. On April 11th, 2018, Microsoft announced that they had sold over 100 million Windows 10 licenses.
9. On November 8th, 2019, Microsoft announced that they will end sales of their Surface Pro tablet.
10. On December 2nd, 2019, Microsoft announced the release of Windows 10X, which is a new operating system designed specifically for
11. On March 5th, 2020, Microsoft announced that they have ended production of the Surface Book.
12. On May 21st, 2020, Microsoft announced the release date for the Surface Neo.
13. On June 15th, 2020, Microsoft released the Surface Duo.
14. On July 23rd, 2020, Microsoft announced plans to launch a new Surface phone.